Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Details of the Planner

Today I'm back to show some details of the planner I use.  I actually came across a post at Bowl Full of Lemons this past fall and loved the colors of the binder she used.  Come to find out it was the Martha Stewart line from Staples.  I couldn't order mine fast enough. 

I used to carry a small purse, but for my birthday, I got a Kate Spade bag which was bigger and the 5" X 8" size fit perfectly.  I'm one of the organizational types that tweaks.  I never seem to get it just right the first time, so I worked with it for awhile until it functioned the way I needed it.

My oldest started school this past fall, so I needed a way to keep his school schedule with me at all times as well as keep track of my husband's and my own work travel schedules.  I have to say it's been working pretty well.  I like that it's really a binder so I can add sleeves and paper as needed for added functionality.

The only downside was the calendar went through June 2013. The past couple of weeks I've been searching around for new calendars to add in.  I was over the Martha Stewart ones.  They were nice, don't get me wrong, but I wanted more color, more personality.  I contemplated for a very long time, whether I wanted to fork over the money for the Erin Condren planners.  They are so pretty and so many to choose from!

The biggest downside for me was they are a little pricey and right now our schedule can be managed in the space of a month-at-a-glance.  I prefer the month-at-a-glance format anyway to help with long term planning.

I searched all over the internet for printables and couldn't find any that fit my need perfectly, so I decided to tackle making my own.  I spent all of my free time this weekend on this project, but I gotta say, I love how it turned out!

I'm a huge Kenny Chesney fan...like I see him every year in concert HUGE!  Since I was making my own calendars, I decided to use lyrics from some of my favorite songs.


Each month is colorful and fun and includes my own Kenny Chesney inspiration. 

Besides using this planner to store my calendar, I use it for various lists.  I have a section for To Do's, Home Projects, Cleaning, Leisure Activities, Gift Ideas and a section called Right Now.  I use the Right Now section to write down funny phrases my kids say or something special they did so I can transfer it into my One Line a Day book.   I almost always have my planner on me, so I figured this was the best place to compile the information instead of random sticky notes!


For the tabs, I just used some Washi Tape to make them a little more interesting.  This Washi Tape craze has some merit.  It's an easy, inexpensive way to add a little character to just about anything.

A few other parts to my planner include the always handy pencil pouch.

And the extra sleeves to put restaurant coupons or activities to keep the boys busy while we wait (at doctor's appointments or restaurants).





I'm super excited and happy to have found a practical, inexpensive and flexible solution to keep me organized on the go! 

If you are interested in putting together your own planner, check out the Martha Stewart line at Staples.  There are typically coupons available if you search for them, which makes this project very affordable.

Happy planning!






0 comments:

Post a Comment